Friday, March 7, 2014

Are you afraid to die?

I know we life in the fun time and death is not something we like to talk about. It makes us uncomfortable. I guess everything we do not know makes us uncomfortable.
Fact is, when we agreed to be born, we also agreed to die! And feeling uncomfortable probably is the baby brother of feeling fear.
As an atheist I understand the feeling "uncomfortable" because it is difficult to imagine how it is to be switched off.
But why do the followers of a deity fear death? Ask a Christian to go to heaven NOW, for sure he or she will find a way to ask for a delay. I am an adventurous spirit and I would like to play survivor or Robinson Crusoe for a month or two, but being stuck for eternity in a place without Internet and mobiles probably would not be my first choice!
Maybe the heaven of the Christians would need an update. But the ruler is an old man - was an old man 5000 years ago - and we all know that the older we get the less we like change.
So, are you afraid to die?
You still have some unfinished business here?
This might be an understandable excuse, especially if you are fairly young (below 100 or so) but let's face it, even without me asking, it could happen to you any day!
Hence it may be wise to tie some knots at their open ends, especially if things like forgiving or letting go is concerned. Just a suggestion!
You know the saying, that "the test is the pudding".
It is easy to say I am not afraid of this or that, as long as the situation is far.
I always was wondering - with my scientific mind - how I would react in situation that might end with me being dead. Imagine you are in a hostage situation and the "gangster" takes a young woman or a young man threatening to shoot them. Would I stand up and say: "Take me instead"?
I am currently a little sick; one aspect is a bad and painful cough. After it did not go away after two weeks I lost faith in the self-healing ability of my body and started self-medication. I had started after a night when I hardly had slept due to continuous painful coughing. I took the drugs and fairly exhausted fell asleep.  After a few hours of sleep I awoke from a serious cough which ended me getting no more air. I jumped out of bed, ran to the bathroom trying to spit out what seemingly blocked the pathway of my breathing. I thought it was a flame.  Well nothing came out and unfortunately no air went in either.
I became calm and I 'knew': "This is the end". No panic, not though "Oh Lord help me".
Did you observe that when you are coughing you breathe through your mouth? With the calmness of my mind I started to use the nose to breath (despite my open mouth) and lo and behold it worked! After a few very conscious breaths the blockage in the throat vanished. As a matter of fact, for the curious among you, there was no flame, nothing material that caused the blockage!
Am I the same today as I was yesterday?
No!
I know now that I am mortal. I know that I have to tie some loose ends and I am happy to still be alive! Let's enjoy life!
No, I do not mean to have "fun", I mean lets enjoy life by being aware THAT this IS life!

And Lead us into Temptation or: The Benefits of a 'false' Prophet
If you still wonder if your religion is the right one, I suggest you read my book "And lead us into temptation or: The Benefits of a 'false' Prophet". 
It is and Amazon eBook. It is light in price not in content!

No comments:

Post a Comment